As stylists and salon owners, one of our most important questions is: Where does the real money live when working behind the chair? Common answers are color services, haircuts, etc. And yes, those are important money makers. There’s more though: in the digital world we live in, it is getting harder to find really great in-person communication skills, and that is where the real money lives! When a client walks into your business and is spoken to in a friendly, professional, and clear manner by all employees, the sky is the limit when it comes to the opportunities this communication offers. Retail, referrals, multiple services, etc. are all obtained through stellar, in-person communication skills.
Communication skills to focus on:
- Be succinct. The more words you use the more of people’s time you take. You’re also diluting your message. Speak clearly and concisely.
- Remove filler words. For example: basically, kinda’, just, like, um, sort of, you know, not only.
- Smile. Whether you’re on the phone or face to face with a client. It makes your message kind and easier to hear. People like happy people!
- Replace the use of the word ‘but’ with the word ‘and’. When you say ‘but’ it negates the meaning of the first part of what you said. Example: “I see your point, but I think we need to try it this way”. Now, let’s try it with ‘and’ instead: “I see your point, and I think we need to try it this way”. Using ‘and’ instead of ‘but’ sounds much softer in the ears, and minds, of the party you’re talking to!
- Listen. Focus on what the client is saying instead of preparing your next remarks in your head.
It’s been proven that the most successful people in any industry are the ones with the best communication skills. We encourage you to constantly practice so you can better communicate your message to the world.
Now go create great art and make money!